{Little Learners Preschool}

Enrollment has started for Fall 2012. Check out my website!
www.littlelearnerspreschool.weebly.com

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Zucchini Lasagna

This is what we had for dinner last night. Zucchini Lasagna. It was a recipe I found on pinterest...
And it was soooooo good! I knew that I would like it, but I was nervous for the rest of my family. I have the world's pickiest eaters for kids, and my hubby isn't very fond of trying "different" things. This lasagna is "different" because the lasagna noodles are replaced with thinly sliced zucchini! It got my family's approval! Yay! I love that it is a healthier version of a yummy classic, but it still had all the flavors of the classic. This is a keeper recipe! And I found it at the perfect time, when I have lots of fresh zucchini from my garden!

Want the recipe? Here it is:

Zucchini Lasagna
1 lb 93% lean ground beef
3 cloves garlic
1/2 onion
salt & pepper
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/8" thick
15 oz. fat free ricotta
16 oz. reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg

On a grill or in the broiler, grill zucchini on each side, until cooked, about 1-2 min. per side.

In a medium saucepan, brown meat & season with salt. Drain then add garlic & onions & saute for 2 min.
Add tomatoes, basil, salt & pepper. Simmer on low for at least 30-40 min., covered. Do not add extra water, the sauce should be thick.

In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
Preheat oven to 350.

In a 9x13 casserole spread some sauce on the bottom & layer the zucchini to cover. Then place some of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up. Top with sauce & mozzarella and cover with foil.

Bake 45 min. covered, then uncover 15 min. Let stand about 5-10 min. before serving.

No comments: